Doshisha Visiting Fellows
The Associated Kyoto Program is pleased to announce special opportunities for visiting fellows to Doshisha University in 2022. AKP will support a professor to teach a course in the humanities at Doshisha University in Kyoto, Japan. The visiting fellow will be expected to teach in English in their specialty, to meet with and offer advice to students as appropriate, and to participate in activities connected with their department.
Applicants should be regular faculty members at an AKP member institution with a strong background in teaching and research in the humanities. Specialists in all humanities disciplines are encouraged to apply. All teaching and related duties are conducted in English, and knowledge of the Japanese language is not required.
The first semester begins on April 1 and ends in early August; the second semester begins in late September and ends in mid-February. Full courses last approximately 15 weeks, with weekly class sessions of 90 minutes. It may be possible to teach an accelerated course over a shorter period of time in order to better coordinate the fellow’s teaching in Kyoto with their home campus academic calendar in the U.S.
Doshisha University will provide each fellow with free housing. Utilities, health insurance, and personal incidental expenses will be the responsibility of the fellow. AKP will provide compensation of $30,000 for fellows who teach a full course over an entire Doshisha semester, or a prorated amount for fellows who teach an accelerated course over a shorter period. This compensation will be paid in US dollars to the fellow’s home institution. Fellows must cover their own round-trip travel expenses. No dependent allowances will be paid.
Doshisha Visiting Fellows Application Process
Applicants should consult closely with their AKP Campus Representative or with the AKP office. You may direct inquiries to Peter Flueckiger, Chair of the AKP Board of Directors, at [email protected]
The applicant must submit the following:
- A letter of application indicating preferred time period for course
– First semester: April 1, 2022 to early August, 2022
– Second semester: late September, 2022 to mid-February, 2023
– Intensive term: Designate a 6–8 week period you are available.
- A detailed, current curriculum vitae including courses taught
- A detailed syllabus for the proposed course, with 15 class sessions of 90 minutes each. A full semester course should have one session per week for 15 weeks. An accelerated course should have the same 15 sessions, but compressed into a shorter time period.
- An evaluation of the applicant’s teaching performance from the department chair
- A letter indicating institutional support from the appropriate administrative officer, such as the Dean of Faculty
- A letter of support from the AKP Campus Representative
- A list indicating the names, ages, and relationships of family members who would accompany the fellow to Kyoto
The AKP U.S. Office will forward all applications to Doshisha University, where the final selection will be made.
Send completed application packets for 2022 by November 30, 2019 to [email protected]