How to Apply
|Academic Term||Term Dates||Application Deadline|
|Full Year (2021-22)||September 2021 – April 2022||February 14, 2021 (Sunday)|
|Fall 2021||September 2021 – December 2021||February 14, 2021 (Sunday)|
|Spring 2022 (Early Decision)||January 2022 – April 2022||February 14, 2021 (Sunday)|
|Spring 2022 (Regular Decision)||January 2022 – April 2022||September 24, 2021 (Friday)|
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or better
- Average Japanese GPA of 3.0 or better
- Applicants for the Fall 2021 and 2021-2022 full-year programs must have at least one year of Japanese language study at their home institution by June 2021. Applicants for the Spring 2022 program must have at least three semesters of Japanese language study at their home institution by December 2021.
If one or more of the above requirements are not met, applicants should ask their AKP campus representative (or for non-consortium applicants, their advisor) to send an email to AKP to discuss their situation.
Applicants are also encouraged, when possible, to prepare for their experience by taking one or more Japan-related classes (other than Japanese language) at their home institution prior to departure.
Applicants must have a passport that will remain valid through the end of the program period they are applying to. For example, a Fall 2021 applicant must have a passport that expires no earlier than January 2022.
- Click on the Apply Now button at the top of this page.
- Create a username and password for AKP's application portal.
- Log in to the portal.
- Gather and submit your application materials.
- Once you turn in all materials and all recommendation letters are received, AKP will reach out to schedule an interview between you and an AKP staff member.
The items mentioned below as well as additional instructions are available after creating an application on the AKP application portal.
- Academic Information
- Extracurricular Activities and Work Experience
- Passport Information for Visa Application
- Non-Consortium Institution Information (if applicable)
Letters of Recommendation
- 2 academic letters of recommendation from faculty members at your home institution.
- 1 Japanese language recommendation/assessment from your most recent Japanese language instructor. May be written in either English or Japanese. (Note: this must be a different faculty member from the 2 providing academic recommendations)
- Dean's Approval and Advisor's Approval Form
- Insurance and Parent Approval Form
- Family Photo
- Letter Addressed to Host Family
- Official Transcript