How to Apply
|Academic Term||Term Dates||Application Deadline|
|Full Year (2022-23)||August 2022 – April 2023||February 14, 2022 (Monday)|
|Fall 2022||August 2022 – December 2022||February 14, 2022 (Monday)|
|Spring 2023 (Early Decision)||January 2023 – April 2023||February 14, 2022 (Monday)|
|Spring 2023 (Regular Decision)||January 2023 – April 2023||September 9, 2022 (Friday)|
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or better
- Average Japanese GPA of 3.0 or better
- Applicants for the Fall 2022 and 2022-2023 full-year programs must have at least one year of Japanese language study at their home institution by June 2022. Applicants for the Spring 2023 program must have at least three semesters of Japanese language study at their home institution by December 2022.
If one or more of the above requirements are not met, applicants should send an email to AKP to discuss their situation.
Applicants are also encouraged, when possible, to prepare for their experience by taking one or more Japan-related classes (other than Japanese language) at their home institution prior to departure.
Applicants must have a passport that will remain valid through the end of the program period they are applying to. For example, a Fall 2022 applicant must have a passport that expires no earlier than January 2023.
- Click on the Apply Now button at the top of this page.
- Click "sign up" to create an account for AKP's application portal.
- Log in to the portal.
- Find "Associated Kyoto Program" under the Programs tab. On the next page, click "Apply now" to start your application.
- Gather and submit your application materials.
- Once you turn in all materials and all recommendation letters are received, AKP will reach out to schedule an interview between you and an AKP staff member.
The items mentioned below as well as additional instructions are available after creating an application on the AKP application portal.
- Academic Information
- Extracurricular Activities and Work Experience
- Passport Information for Visa Application
Letters of Recommendation
- 2 academic letters of recommendation from faculty members at your home institution.
- 1 Japanese language recommendation/assessment from your most recent Japanese language instructor. May be written in either English or Japanese. (Note: this must be a different faculty member from the 2 providing academic recommendations)
- Home Institution Approval Form
- Family Photo
- Letter Addressed to Host Family
- Official Transcript