How to Apply
|Spring 2020||September 20, 2019 (Friday)|
|Full Year (2020-21)||January 31, 2020 (Friday)|
|Fall 2020||January 31, 2020 (Friday)|
|Spring 2021 (Early Decision)||January 31, 2020 (Friday)|
|Spring 2021 (Regular Decision)||September 25, 2020 (Friday)|
Start with the red “Apply now to AKP” button above! It will take you to the application portal, where you will be asked to create a user ID in order to sign in and begin your application.
If you are a member of one of AKP’s consortium schools, complete your application with the assistance of your AKP Campus Representative. If you’re not from a consortium school, contact the AKP Program Administrator ([email protected]) before beginning an application.
For students applying for the January deadline, we strongly encourage you to gather the necessary application materials before leaving campus for Winter Break.
Are You Ready?
AKP is open to college juniors and first-semester seniors in good standing at consortium and non-consortium institutions.
- Full-year and fall-only applicants must have completed at least one year of Japanese language study at their home institutions by the June before they enroll in the program. Spring-only applicants must be enrolled in a Japanese language class in the fall semester before they enroll in the program, and must have completed at least three semesters of Japanese language study at their home institutions by the December before they enroll in the program.
- Applicants must also have completed at least one other Japan-related course before enrolling in the program.
- Applicants should have a grade point average of “B” or better, and have earned an average grade of “B” or better in Japanese language courses.
- In order to apply, Spring 2020 applicants must have a passport valid through September 2021. Full-year 2020-21, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021 applicants must have a passport valid through September 2022.
Deposits and Fees
- Application fees: The application fee for students at consortium colleges is $25; for non-consortium applicants, the fee is $50. Late applications are subject to a $50 fee.
- Comprehensive fees: Students from consortium member colleges pay the comprehensive fees of their home institutions. Non-consortium students are charged a comprehensive fee based on prevailing fees at consortium institutions. Please refer to Costs and Financial Aid for further information.
- Enrollment and academic standing: Enrollment is contingent upon the applicant’s maintenance of good academic standing.