Health Update: Coronavirus in Japan
In light of the current 2019 Novel Coronavirus outbreak, we are providing an update regarding AKP’s response to the epidemic.
All of us at AKP continue to monitor the impact and spread of the virus in Japan, following resources and guidance from the Department of State, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, Overseas Security Advisory Council, the U.S. Embassy in Japan, and our partners at Doshisha University.
There are currently 14 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Japan, the majority of which are in Tokyo. AKP is aware that two of these cases, a tour bus driver and tour guide with no relation to AKP, are as close as Osaka and Nara Prefecture. Last night, we also became aware that one case has been confirmed in Kyoto. According to the Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare report, this person only left her house once after returning from Wuhan last Thursday. She was wearing a mask at the time. As of now, she is being monitored closely.
While many have expressed concern, no students or staff have been reported as being impacted by the virus. To ensure the safety of our students, AKP has implemented the following precautions:
- Requesting all students, staff, and faculty to use hand sanitizer when entering the AKP Kyoto Center.
- Encouraging all students to wear masks while out in Kyoto.
- Discussing health, safety, and hygiene with each student during their individual one-month check-in with the AKP Resident Director.
- Communicating with host families regarding AKP precautions.
- Reviewing all non-program travel itineraries proposed by students who wish to travel outside of Kyoto.
- Reviewing field trips for AKP courses and assessing the risk of exposure to individuals who may carry the virus on a case-by-case basis. At minimum, field trips that present a possibility of this risk will be made optional, and students who choose to participate will be provided with masks to protect themselves.
The situation remains fluid, and if any updates arise, we will inform students’ home study abroad offices, campus representatives, and parents in a timely matter. Should you have any questions, we welcome you to email [email protected] or call 909-621-1884.